Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Organizing Bliss

I'm sure I've mentioned in other posts how busy my hubby is.  Before we moved here he worked full time and went to school full time earning his Associates in Natural Sciences (focused on chemistry.)  He worked really hard so that I didn't have to work outside of our home.  When we first had our son I was working and taking our son with me and trying to take care of him and do my stressful job at the same time.  It was a nightmare and my boss was going through her own "stuff", doing little work and taking all her stress out on me.  I eventually just couldn't take the drama anymore and had to leave and was honestly so burnt out I couldn't face the thought of trying to find a new job and have to plop our son in daycare or with a family member.  I was so thankful (and still am) that he was not only be in charge of our only income but encourage me to be a stay at home mother.  However, it has come at a cost (and I don't just mean monetarily.)  Our 5 moves in 4 years all mixed in with our little guy being a surprise, both of us in school, emergency c-section, colic, PPD, gallbladder surgery all along with the "normal" everyday stress have taken a toll on us physically.  With all the moves, several of which were last minute, I became unorganized..  Just throw it in a box and I'll get to it when I get to it became my philosophy..

Well I never did "get to it".  A little guy who never did nap (or sleep much in general) and who wants to "help" (more like break things and shred important papers) mommy at every turn made me put it off.. My parents would drop off boxes and boxes of "stuff" that was "mine" that they wanted out of their house and that added to the box skyscrapers in our closets, empty corners, and anywhere we could find a space.  I filled several huge tubs of clothing, shoes, household items, etc and donated them but it didn't seem to help.  So many people tried to help us out when we got married so young and had a baby shortly after.. We must just need every thing they want to get rid of!  Old shoes, clothes, things that barely work, stained towels, travel soaps from hotels, the list goes on and on .. and on.... I am very, very thankful for the things we were given that we were able to use but I honestly started to feel like a bit of a hoarder.  I was so afraid to get rid of things because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Heck, I felt bad when I used things so much that I wore them out!  I can't keep a giant 30 year old blender that no longer will hold any liquid because someone gave it to me and because maybe.. just maybe someday I'll find a thrift store that will have a new jar! 

This past week my husband finished his in class classes for the semester.  He had a 10 day break that is almost over that he has spent earning some extra money online, studying for his summer and fall classes and taking breaks to take our son for walks and playground trips.  I have been able to get more done in a matter of days than I've gotten done in YEARS!  Boxes and boxes EMPTY!  So many papers in our recycle.. so many broken things that should have been thrown away years ago (less than I expected though).. so many random things that never belonged in boxes.. and trash.. how the heck did an empty shampoo bottle get put in with a box of papers?!?  Christmas decorations in with papers.. seriously, how did I get so FREAKING many papers?!?  Paper dolls and American doll pins.. wow, my parents really did dig way down into their closets pulling out all the stuff that was mine!  On the upside.. so many little things to add to my crafting supplies! 

I feel like I've accomplished so much.. but then I look at our bedroom closet and cringe!  SO many more boxes.. so many more papers that I don't want to read and try to decide if they're important!  So many clothes that don't fit me properly.... seriously, if I get rid of everything that doesn't fit right..or is stained, worn, etc... my neighbors are going to call the cops!

It is so nice to be able to see certain walls that I haven't seen since before our stuff arrived .. it is so nice to be able to finish a crochet project because I can just sit down while someone else gets a juice or a bowl of Cheerios for my little guy.. I'm going to miss all the help (strangely enough I do get a little jealous when all requests start with "DADDY DADDY!!")... but I appreciate what I've managed to get done in these past few days and all of the organization that I've managed to accomplish will help me with my every day routine and once I'm through the rest of the boxes I will be left with a bit more me time.. when I should probably be sleeping at night!  I can't wait to take advantage of my newly organized craft supplies!  And of course I can't wait to turn my scribbles in my notebooks into the etsy account I've been thinking about for over a year! The time is coming.. I just know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment