Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Knit for Japan Update

The deadline to ship out items for Knit for Japan is coming so fast.

I'm sad to say I only managed to finish 4 large crocheted adult scarves (2 cotton 2 acrylic), 1 small toddler/child scarf (acrylic), 1 child wash cloth (cotton) and I have one adult sized wash cloth (cotton) ~1/2 completed.  I also have one hat (acrylic) that is crocheted but needs to be assembled... The sides are sewn together but I need to re-watch a tutorial on how to pull the top together and then I need to sew on my sad pom-pom.  I learned something very important from this endeavor..... Crocheting hats makes me angry!!! My work will seem so nice and even... no obvious mistakes... then I look at the top and somehow it's all crooked and looks like I've decreased from the beginning through the end.... If I actually did or not I'm not sure.  I need some serious practice making hats before I get involved with a hat project again!!  I'm so glad scarves and wash cloths were accepted for Knit for Japan!

With a deadline of July 15th I feel the need to plan to send out my box of donations by Sat.  I figure in a week's time I *should* be able to finish assembling the hat, finish the wash cloth and maybe whip out another child sized wash cloth.  I fear if I wait any longer to send it out early that my work may wind up being one of my many "good intentions" projects that never goes anywhere...

Next on my list of yarn related projects:

Complete 2-4 stripes on the never ending blanket (that's where I'll run out of yarn this time)-- 2-4 weeks

2-3 Washable cotton Swiffer covers for my mom's birthday in late Sept --- Probably about 2 weeks for each

Make "yarn" out of old cotton garments that are truly over due to be turned into rags- a day maybe 2

Use "rag"/t-shirt yarn to make a rag rugs for under the kitchen sink and outside the shower and under the dog's water bowl. --- Probably close to a month for each... but maybe less as the "yarn" will probably be thicker than what I'm used to.

Find a knitting/crocheting charity project that I can work on more slowly than Knit for Japan so I can make sure to keep working on family projects. 

.......Something tells me that I'm going to be working on these projects until the end of the year... Where does time go??!?  I probably shouldn't even try to process the fact that Christmas is less than 6 months away and my dad has a birthday in Oct exactly a month after my mom's birthday.... I don't have time to squeeze in learning how to knit socks and whip out a giant pair of men's wool socks do I????!?  You know if they would turn out well he'll request about 10 more pairs by Christmas...

And let us not forget I have sewing (cloth wipes for DS, pillow cases) and other crafting goals as well and an empty etsy store that needs to be stocked.  I need to earn some money to supply my crafting therapy (or addiction depending on how you look at it) right?  I think I'm going to go brew some sun tea so I can caffinate myself up... I need to learn to live on less than 4 hours of sleep to be able to do everything that is expected of me and what I want to do!

Hoping to join the Yarn Along this week.  I've really missed it while in PA for my SIL's wedding for the past 3 Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment