Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yarn Along

Joining Small Thing's Yarn Along again this week.

First off I'd like to apologize yet again for my terrible pictures... I really need to convince one of the cameras in our home that it likes to take close up pictures in doors with terrible lighting......

*gasp!*  Could it be?!  A book?!?!  Why yes, yes it is.  I recently picked out the book Billions & Billions  Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium by Carl Sagan from my husband's "library".  The fact that it was sitting  next to The Faynman Lectures on Physics that my husband reads just for fun made me assume that it would be way over my head.  However, so far it is not... there's even a little cartoon drawing on page 8 to breakdown the idea of  having to count to three hundred seventy eight billion and two.... I've enjoyed what I've read but I'm reading it very slowly... Every time I'm interrupted (which is quite often) I go back and read what I had just finished reading so that I'm not losing any of what is said.

 I've done about as much knitting and crocheting this week as I normally would have done in a "normal" day.  I finished a washcloth that was more than half way done and casted on the one in the first picture.  I'm trying to concentrate my me time to things that are physically more important than my sanity (which is what my crafting maintains.)  Anyone that knows BMIs and can see what those numbers are knows that I'm in trouble.  I live on a relatively strict diet and try to consume no more than 1.500 calories in a given day.  The max number given to me by my diabetic health nurse when I took a course on diabetes nutrition was 1,650 calories per day.  I try (and fail horribly) not to beat myself up over numbers (pounds) when it comes to my weight and I try to focus on my blood sugar and how I physically feel when it comes to my energy.  If I maintain good energy and a healthy blood sugar level I have the ability to loose additional weight.  If I loose 20 lbs and still feel like garbage I'm going to spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing and slowly the weight will just come back.  It's hard though to not get excited when I see -2.4 pounds... My mind automatically goes to hey if I lose 5 lbs a month I can loose over 50 lbs in a year and be skinny in 2 years!  Then I gain a pound, cry (even though I know weight fluctuates more than that in a day) and spend the day mopeing around.... and no, that's not me being sarcastic that 1 lousy pound destroys my self esteem... I had a melt down over 1 pound just last week.

That all being said I may not be getting very much knitting done for the rest of the summer..  I don't handle heat well due to some health issues I have and with 100+ degree weather I'm staying inside where it's hard to find quiet exercises that wont bother my downstairs neighbors.   I've been pulling some very late nights (or does 5 AM make it a painfully early morning??) when it's semi-cool in here, trying to be active (our home has never been cleaner.)  I am so looking forward to fall when it cools down and I can go walking outside.  We live feet from a lake and two parks and a mile from a very nice library.  It kills me that I can't deal with the heat long enough to take my son all of those places.  I went to take the dogs out around 1PM the other day and felt like my entire body hit a wall half way down the 3 flights of stairs... it was so hot I felt like I was going to pass out.  In normal weather I can take those stairs full speed up and down with out losing my breath..... Oh how I wish we had moved north instead of south!

4 comments:

  1. hope you are finding some reprieve from the heat... portland has been cold and rainy.... I am sun deprived!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat does make it hard to get excited about knitting. That's why I tend to knit in the house right now. Hope you are able to get a little more sleep in then last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about the weight loss and my BMI is probably not far off from that picture, either.

    I know I have start exercising to get some of it off, but it's really hard to get motivated to do so when the day start with 80 degree temperatures. Maybe I'll get back to using my Wii Fit, too, until the weather starts cooling off and I get outside to walking again.

    Good luck and know that I'm thinking of you.

    Jen {Wife, "Mom", Knitter}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, no break in the heat yet. We had to run out today and when I turned my car on it said 104. I'm not sure I was ever less happy to not have working AC in the car! The steering wheel was so hot I couldn't even touch it at first.

    I finally found a little project to work on that I can put down and pick up easily and that wont be so large it lays on me and makes me uncomfortable.

    Jen- I actually use Wii Fit more to track my weight because I'm not too technically savy and can't figure out how to get to the exercises my husband uses.. I pretty much just do the basic training section only w/out using the actual program. Holding onto the wiimote gets in the way of my concentration. :)

    ReplyDelete